Saturday, July 9, 2011

July is National Ice Cream Month

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? President Ronald Regan declared July National Ice Cream month in 1984 and it's been a party every since!

Late Night Snack
Ben & Jerry's introduced five new flavors for the summer:

Late Night Snack 
Fair Goodness Cake
Red Velvet Cake 
Bonnaroo Buzz
What a Cluster

You may be asking yourself "what does this have to do with wine?" Well the answer is PLENTY!  Ice cream comes in many varieties: sorbet, Italian ice, sherbet, and of course the original creamy stuff.

As a matter of fact, you can find plenty of wine ice cream recipes on line...no kidding!  There was a little shop down the street from our house that sold wine sorbets, but I am sad to report that it closed down earlier this year (we're still grieving).  

Since there is no place local to buy it, what's the next best thing...homemade! I found a recipe on Epicurious for Plum and Red Wine Sorbet and it sounds heavenly. Food Network also has a recipe for a Basic Wine Sorbet, you could whip up a batch using your favorite wine.

I am going to recruit the winos' for a Wine Ice Cream mission!  We'll see what we can create, stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea about wine and ice cream but I do LOVE the late nate with jimmy fallon ice cream, ahhh. I want it now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I love them both. I don't drink hard liquor at all. Coming from an Italian family need I say why? hahaha Have a great weekend and don't show me ice cream it's my downfall and I'm on a strict diet. Oh boy! Have to run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you familiar of "dirty ice cream" only in the Philippines? ;-)

    http://dangzteronline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete