Saturday, June 18, 2011

Age is just a number - unless you're wine!

by csk_azriel
How old do you feel?  Do you think you've improved with age or not? Well if you're a wino  wine, age could vastly improve the way you look, feel and taste. So let's take a look, shall we?

What types of wine have aging potential?
Red wines have a greater aging potential than whites,  because of the tannins (a bitter plant compound found in leaf, bud, stems, and roots).  Acidic white wines also have the potential to age well, because the acid mellows over time.

What happens during the aging process?
When wine ages the tannins mellow out (the bitterness fades), which also changes the color of the wine; red wines get paler, while white wines tend to get darker. The acidity lessens and the taste of the wine gets "softer."

Young Wines
According to British wine expert, Jancis Robinson, the majority of wine on the market should be consumed as "young" as possible.  Of course the average wino is not paying a lot of money for wine and wines that age well tend to be on the pricey side.  The bottom line is - all wines don't get better with age, I know it's heart breaking, but it's true. 

The Wine Curators has a lovely aging chart, so you won't have to think about it!  Click here to check it out. They also have wine software for purchase if you're fancy.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Anthony Bourdain recently mentioned that he so loves young wine now a days! Seems like the way to go!! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to this blog, found you via the Blog Hop and I have to say, after reading, the re-reading this post, I feel like such a grown up for following!

    I ALWAYS feel out of place at my local shop, never really knowing what to buy, and too embarrassed to say when I don't like how a wine tastes. I can honestly say that in all my years of living, I've never tasted a wine I liked enough to put on my weekly grocery list.

    I want that to change!

    Great post. I totally plan to be an active follower, and I hope you will visit me this weekend at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a blog. On a blog hop. Will be back. Connected with you via Google Connect. Have a lovely day.
    Nina
    www.ninalazina.info

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new here too. Very interesting blog you have here. I sure hope I'll be able to find it again. I'm your latest follower & it looks like I'm following all your blogs. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete