Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wine & Chocolate: Good for Your Noodle

If you're a wino with a sweet tooth, you might have just struck gold!  Scientists have recently divulged that red wine and dark chocolate (consumed in moderation) is good for the brain. When the two are consumed together it enhances the brains ability to complete complex tasks. 


It seems that polyphenols (natural antioxidants found in plants) increase brain activity, by relaxing blood vessels, making them wider and more open - which increases their capacity to function. What foods naturally contain polyphenols?  You guessed it...wine and chocolate!!!


The study didn't find any significant increase in the brains of younger people, simply because they are already functioning at optimal levels. But older people did show significant brain function improvement. The blood flow to the brain naturally decrease as we get older, so increasing the blood flow is a good thing. 

**A word to the wise: you don't need to consume very much red wine or chocolate to experience the benefits.  Moderation is key.**

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I love this blog!!

    I have to be you fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey, this is such wonderful news! I just happen to love both :) Thank you so much for finding me and following me. My dial up internet slows me down, but I am on my way around to your other blogs as well.

    Blogger was out for awhile and I noticed I had an email showing a comment from you. When I checked, the post and comment were gone. Now the post is back but no comment :( my apologies.

    Take care and have a beautiful weekend.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete